The Department’s Key focus is on operational transport functions and strategic transport planning and policy across the range of public and commercial transport systems that service the State. It’s role is to connect people with goods and services through an intricate system of roads, railways, airports, ports and waterways and educate and regulate to keep them safe within those networks.
BI Applications (OBIA) was deployed. This solution provided a prebuilt set of ETL mappings, Data Warehouse Tables, calculations and metrics and Prebuilt reports as a starting point for analysis. The BI Apps Data Warehouse Administration Console (DAC) controls the ETL processing and schedule, configured for various EBS interfaces to accommodate reporting requirements allowing the extracts to be run on a nightly basis, or more frequently as required. The OBIA modules implemented were Finance Analytics and Procure and Spend Analytics. Enhancements to the Out of the box model were phased in to provide the client specific calculations and metrics as well as custom DFFs from EBS in much less time than would have been possible if the database infrastructure and OBIEE model was developed from a “vanilla” installation. The original implementation has been support by I&A through various customizations and enhancements over time to meet the organizations needs, including software version upgrades. Recently, I&A helped the client move to a hybrid cloud implementation with the OBIEE component of the solution being migrated to Oracle Analytics Cloud (OAC) connected to on-premise EBS and Data Warehouse databases and ETL also remaining On-Premise. Future migrations to the cloud of the other components are being assessed.
Challenges & Business Objectives
- The Department had to adopt an appropriate replacement reporting solution as a consequence of decoupling from the WA Government’s Shared Services infrastructure within a short timeframe (6 weeks).
- Government initiative to push back Corporate Services processing to Agencies resulted additional effort and responsibilities.
- Hundreds of Out of the Box Key Performance Indicators and numerous reports to use as a starting point and expand upon
- Prebuilt solution drastically reduced the implementation time
- Ability to drill through from Management Report Level data through to Transactional Records
- The environment facilitates both Management Reports, Operational and KPI reporting
- Ability for end users to create complex custom reports
- Expandable Integrated framework supporting reporting of EBS & other data sources via a data warehouse.